Written by Stephanie Smith
The Truth about Familiar Spirits
Part 1.~ What are Familiar Spirits and how do they manifest?
Please read through!
What the bible says;
Give no regard to mediums and familiar spirits, do not seek after them, to be defiled by them; I am the Lord your God.
And the person who turns to mediums and familiar spirits, to prostitute himself with them, I will set My face against that person and cut him off from his people.
A man or a woman who is a medium, or who has familiar spirits shall surely be put to death. They shall stone them with stones. Their blood shall be upon them.
10. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his sons or daughters pass through the fire. Or who practices witchcraft or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer.
11. Or one who conjures spells, or a a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls upon the dead.
12. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you.
13. You shall be blameless before the Lord your God.
And when they say to you, “ seek those who are mediums and wizards, who whisper and mutter” should not a people seek God? Should they seek the dead on behalf of the living.
Familiar Spirits~how they manifest
A familiar Spirit is a demon that takes on many forms. The most common form is by them appearing as one who is deceased. They take on the deceased characteristics and identity. They may have working knowledge of the person's personality, life and family. They come with the intent to draw one into forming a bond through communication; to deceive, manipulate, and control, with the purpose to steal, kill, and destroy. They manifest as ghosts, apparitions, phantoms, and shadowy silhouettes.
They are demons that monitor progress and achievements, they are sent to distract, harass, and vex a person. They are foot soldiers looking for an open door to come into a person's life through sin, emotional trauma, inner vows and judgements or may have legal ground already through generational curses. They come as intruders that we should guard against. They are watching for anything to be given opportunity for legal ground. They allow or help other demons to gain entrance into a person's life.They create chaos and havoc, they whisper and mutter, they scream or sound like a baby crying, they work to make a person lose focus, to make one get off course and feel as if they are in a mind fog. Or as if they are going insane. They cause divisions and strife and sow thoughts of fear and doubt. They also manifest as animal spirits or spirit guides. The Wiccan, Native American, and some Shamanic beliefs are known to endorse these. Familiar spirits are the demons that appear as “another Jesus” taking on his identity and traits. They are devious, smart, and conniving with the ability to manifest as any form that would be familiar or comfortable to a person.
Not one person is immune to the deceptive works of familiar spirits as their name indicates the word; familiarity. They are characterized by the fact that they are familiar to a person or a person's belief system. They seek a relationship with a person. They seek to form lines of communication to bring people into captivity and bondage.
Three different relationships to Familiar Spirits
There are three categories of people and their relationship to a familiar spirit.
The slave is a person in captivity who is aware of the oppression by familiar Spirits and desires to be free from sin and the oppression. This comes by repentance and deliverance. ( Romans 6:16-18) This is the person who may continually have trouble with repeating the same sin. But under the oppression from demons they are under the bondage to that sin. Those who seek freedom can be set free by the blood of Jesus Christ and live in spiritual freedom ( John 8:36).
The servant is the person who knowingly is involved with familiar spirits such as witches warlocks, sorcerers, soothsayers, Mediums, psychics, and false prophets. They serve them, worship them, commune and have spiritual covenants with them. But this is also a form of captivity. They just choose to remain in their sin. (Duet. 18:10-13, Acts 16:16) Familiar spirits are believed to serve the witch or warlock by doing their bidding in tormenting others, they are sent to oppress by attacking, to intrude, harass, weaken, reinforce curses, vex, and report back to the witch. They are seen as the spirit guide or animal guide. These familiars may also oppress a person bringing with them sicknesses, infirmities, afflictions and bondages. In reality the person is serving the evil plans of Satan while believing they are being served by the unclean spirit. Most people who are involved with witchcraft or the occult are aware of demons and choose to be a servant while others are ensnared and become unwilling servants. Familiar spirits can manifest inside a person (Acts 16:16) through that person being a medium or channel through which it speaks. Hence the Hebrew word for familiar spirits is “Obe” or “ob” which is translated to mean “ a leathern bottle”. They were familiar with them by the sound they made when speaking through a human vessel. She served the spirit by becoming the skin bottle that it spoke through.
Then there are warrior’s. These are people who are apart of God's army and are trained in spiritual warfare. They are able to discern the works of evil and unclean spirits. They are called, anointed and trained by God in battle for the casting out of demons. Paul when he cast out a familiar spirit of divination out in acts 16:16 is a great example of a Warrior under the authority of Jesus. He had his senses exorcised in good and evil. He was able to discern the spirit and cast it out. The warriors aren't afraid to engage in spiritual warfare prayer and can discern attacks, intrusion, and recognize the tactics of the devil. They stand firm in the power of God and His might (eph. 6) and pray accordingly. They know that the battle belongs to the Lord. ( 1 Samuel. 17) They understand that the battle is only won through the name of Jesus Christ.
Emotions. Were Familiar With:
Familiar spirits are not limited to witchcraft, spiritism, and the occult. As mentioned before no one is immune to them. A person can be in agreement with them through sin, either willfully or for lack of knowledge. When a person is entertaining a spirit of depression or anger they are in an agreement with that spirit. Spirits that mock emotion are a type of familiar spirit being they manifest in whats familiar to the person. These familiar spirits have distinct personalities and are characterized by their traits or fruit. The bible says that we shall know a person by what fruit they yield whether good or bad. (Math 7:16) and we are to test the spirits to see where they come from. (1 John 4:1-6). Godly born again people should yield the fruits of the spirit as found in Gal. 5: 22-23. No man is perfect and we all fall short of the glory of God. But a person in captivity under bondage to a familiar spirit can can be entertaining them aware or unaware. They become familiar to a person as they try to influence them in evil ways.
An influence example can be when in bondage to a familiar spirit of anger have you ever said to yourself, “ that's just the way I am,” “I’ve always been like this,” “I’ll never change,”? Have you exploded with anger finding yourself wrestling with the guilt following the uncontrolled emotion? “I don't want to be like this,” “I don't know how to change,” ? “I’m so sorry, I don't mean to yell all the time,” If so, then there's the chance an agreement with a familiar spirit has been made. Anger and the responses of anger become familiar and are believed to be a personality trait when in reality can be the manifestation of the demon.
Through conviction of the Holy Spirit and revelation of Jesus christ, followed by true repentance can deliverance be achieved and freedom granted. These are spirits that stay close to a person monitoring movements, affecting a person's will and focus. They report back to higher ranking demons. They are apart of the class of demons in Ephesians 6:12, that are spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
People in communion with familiar Spirits tend to believe that the spirit is good rather than evil. That while in fellowship with it they may gain supernatural knowledge of the afterlife, heaven, hell, death, the future, or be given answers to unknown mysteries. They may provide some type of vital information to prove themselves beneficial to keep around. Because of this type of deception, some are not willing to let go or to part with the familiar spirit.
They may not recognize themselves as having a familiar spirit due to communication from being in the realm of the imagination, fantasies, visualization, mediation, or daydreams. This can happen when a person tries to access the spiritual realm or communicate with God through their minds and not through prayer or their spiritual prayer language. They can be trying to seek something good and positive just not in the proper way.
Another deceptive tool of Satan is the pagan ritual of Necromancy, the belief in raising a supposed person's spirit from the dead in order to communicate with it. (1 sam. 28). It is a major deception. As we find that a person's spirit will either reside in heaven with Jesus due to salvation or will reside in Hades until judgement due to lack of salvation. Only God has the power to raise spirits and bodies and that won't be seen until the coming of the Lord for the First Resurrection. (Rev 20, John 5:28-29, Romans 14:9) Any spirit giving the illusion of a person deceased and raised prior to the first and second resurrections are not human spirits but are demonic familiar spirits on masquerade.
How they can enter
The list is comprehensive and not limited to these; The use of
1. Divination (an attempt to discern future events that cannot be known by normal means) Asking psychics to read auras, fortune telling, palm readers, crystal balls, horoscopes are all forms of divination.
2. Transcendental Meditation or TM ( person empties himself of all self identity and will, then allowing an entity to gain entrance. They are completely giving themselves over to demonic oppression. They give false revelations, visions, prophecies, secrets and lies about the hidden mysteries of God. Automatic handwriting falls into this category as does hypnotism.
3. Another open door falls into the realm of the imagination. Children are especially prone to create a playmate that can give familiar spirits access by having been rejected or from bouts of abuse. They create the playmate that becomes real to them. The familiar spirit begins a line of communication and forms a bond of trust built on lies. And because of the realness in their minds some children are unwilling to part with their secret friend or protector. In one adult case the oppression from a familiar spirit as playmate in childhood it had been reported to cause incidents involving oppression from occult spirits and psychic phenomenon.
4. Another entrance is through the use of Visualization. It's a meditation technique employed by some therapeutic teachers to help people visualize freedom and relaxation. It's not far from the techniques used in the first stages of hypnotism, “imagine yourself on a beach, slow breathing, imagine yourself relaxing,,” sound familiar? Scripture gives no indication of use of this technique. The word says that we are given faith. And that “Faith is the evidence of things not seen” (Heb 11:1)
We believe in an invisible God through faith. Faith gives us spiritual eyes to see the invisible. When we fully submit and trust in God, there is no need to visualize or imagine ourselves ourselves receiving freedom. We simply ask for it in faith believing that we will receive.
5. The use of Drugs, pharmacia, or Alchemy opens the doorway of the mind. Especially in the use of hallucinogenic drugs. The drugs can cause the user to see more immediately into the spiritual realm and they can open themselves up to demons. The mind is not guarded when it's in an intoxicated state and demons will feed off of this state of mind, usually bringing spirits of intrigue (hey that was cool let's do it again), then spirits of communication (mysteries to tell) and spirits of control and fear ( to keep one in bondage). There are some who willing use drugs to gain entrance into the spiritual realm. It's usually equated with sorcery or witchcraft, and is known as Alchemy.
6. Rock Music can be an open door as it's known as an angry music and noticeable behavior issues have arisen in those who listen to it. It pumps up the flesh and anger is a work of the flesh (Gal. 5) It's also a form of worship as they worship the emotion and familiar spirits behind the music. It can explode in various ways. We have to guard our minds against what we put into it. An angry song with angry lyrics can be an open door for familiar spirits.
7. Games and toys are widespread in the US now. Most people are familiar with Ouija Boards or a child’s toy of an 8 ball, that you flip and ask questions. Both are easily accessible through the internet or a toy store. Ouija Boards are a form of necromancy and 8 balls fall under divination. Both are doorways for familiar Spirits. Popular sleepover and party games such as Light as a feather, stiff as a Board have been revamped into the Finger Lift Challenge (Levitation) Or last years trend of Charlie, Charlie; with the spinning pencil (divination), and can't leave out the gory Bloody Mary (necromancy) all of these are doors for familiar spirits to come in. They are all open invitations and they are rooted in witchcraft. Fantasy games and role play games attract familiars spirits as a person becomes entangled in the fantasy world and can't differentiate real life from that of fantasy. The familiar spirit then taking on the personality as the role play character either in their flesh or by appearing as an apparition.
Mind games of different substantial levels are also an open door if the games are rooted in witchcraft or the occult. They are used as a method of control, as the ones seeking to control will use evil to accomplish their goals. Some mind games are commonly utilized by narcissistic people showing controlling behavior where they play the victim while they torment the person they seek to control by twisting them in their thoughts and emotions, playing the rejected victim and casting blame onto others. Most people have experienced mind games because anyone seeking to control a person will play mind games and it's a familiar spirit of control, dominance and witchcraft. Through the use mind games an open door of emotional trauma is created and all kinds of familiar spirits can have accessibility to the person under duress.
8. Anything that a person opens their minds up to can be an open door for a familiar spirit such as television, internet sites, movies and books. Everyone at some point in their lives have been exposed to ghastly tales of murdered apparitions, vengeful spirits, quietly floating phantoms or enraged ghosts through campfire tales or a scary movie. Each story is unique in its scare tactic with its allure of the unknown, tangled with mankind's desires to know the hidden mysteries beyond the natural realm. Horror, suspense, and comedic movies such as Thirteen Ghosts, Stir of Echoes, The Fog, The Ring, The Grudge, What Lies Beneath, The Shining, The Conjuring, The Amityville Horror Story, Candyman, Jeepers Creepers, The Sixth Sense, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters, and Ghost. Some of them depict events that surround families and people caught in the horrors of dealing with the unknown spiritual realm. They are seen fighting ghosts, phantoms, and spooks in the night, as they are being hurt and tormented by them. Books are also ways they can have access. Authors like Dean Koontz and Stephen King dive deep into the insane places a man can be driven too while throwing in some bizarre supernatural element. When a person partakes by watching or reading such materials they can be entertaining familiar spirits and be used as an avenue to create an open portal for other familiar spirits to enter in by.
Manifestations in the Bible
In the account of King Saul seeking a medium in (1 Sam. 28:3-25, 1 Chron. 10: 13-14, Is. 8:19) we find that the use of the pagan ritual of necromancy was used and the fabled belief that the spirit of the prophet Samuel had been raised. Knowing the truth of what happens to the body, soul and spirit we can easily determine that it was a demon manifestation. The real spirit of Samuel was kept in Sheol(Hades) in the place of comfort (luke 16:19-31), Abraham’s bosom and there will remain until the first resurrection. His spirit will rise into glory with his resurrected body to meet with Jesus in the sky(John 5:28-29). The ancient Hebrews understood this concept pre Christ and before the cross of what happened at death. Jacob spoke of going down to Sheol when Joseph died. ( Gen. 37:35) The DECEPTION is that deceased spirits can roam the earth and wish to communicate to us. We see the deception in movies, television and books, and are groomed to think that it's normal. Their largest deception is unraveled in the understanding of life and death and what happens after death. Since the cross and Jesus Christ's sacrifice for our sins, believers at death who have accepted salvation go to heaven. As Paul indicates to be absent from the body is to be with the Lord ( 2 Corin. 5:8). While unbelievers will remain in Hades until Judgment.
Its noticable to account that the spirit had working knowledge of the prophets Samuels personality, traits, mannerisms, and how the word said that he was seen as coming up from the ground and Saul perceived that it was Samuel. With perception, we don't always have a clear view of things. We perceive things based on what we know from experience. Saul had experienced Samuel in life. The word perceive means to become aware of, comprehend. He perceived it to be Samuel based on knowledge he had of him from life. He was deceived by a false perception.
In Acts 16:16 we find the apostle Paul en route and a young woman follows suit with mocking words of repetition. Paul discerned the familiar spirit that gave her divination powers and cast it out. Most people focus on the authority in which Paul uses to cast it out, which was given to him by Jesus Christ and to all believers. But in looking at woman we see how the familiar spirit manifested this time in her flesh, her speech patterns, her eyes, and her mannerisms. Demons can be detected through discernment when they are indwelling a person either by oppression or possession. They can be detected by their characteristics and traits based on how a person acts. A discerner will know what to look for just as Paul knew what to look for in the woman. The woman acquired deliverance although repentance is not seen in this story. Yet in the woman's actions of her following the apostles, coupled with her words of knowing who they were and who Christ was Paul saw a repentant heart ( Acts 16: 17-18) Scripture however only indicates that Paul was annoyed by the spirit.
Therefore before there is deliverance there must be repentance. Through repentance the legal ground or access they are given is broken and the demon had no right to stay, submitting to the authority of Jesus Christ as seen through Paul ( Acts 16:18)
1 tim. 2:5
There is only one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
Jesus said to him, “ I am the truth, the way, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
For I know the plans I have for you, plans for prosperity and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.
God is the maker of heaven and the universe and isn't it great that he knows the plans he has for us. That we can seek him and know him through salvation in His son? We don't have to seek him through outside means. (Is. 8:19) All we need is Jesus and he is the only Open door we need to be granted access to God. Salvation is free to anyone who believes and calls on his name. Freedom is given through the blood and only Jesus can set the captives free but he may send out people like us to be his hands just as Paul was his hands with the woman in Acts. Are you in need of deliverance from familiar spirits? Have any questions or concerns? We're here to help people gain understanding and how to receive freedom. (1 John 1:9, Col. 1:13-14, john 10:7-10, John 3:16, John 8:36, math 10:8, Mark 16: 17-18)
©Demon Slayers ~SAS
May 24, 2017
*Confronting Familiar Spirits by Frank and Ida Mae Hammond
* Revelation Unveiled by Tim Lahaye
* New King James Version Holy Bible